Friday, December 19, 2008

Blessings....and the Christmas Spirit



This is my favorite Santa of all time. It helps that he's drinking coke, but anyways.....

This year I haven't really felt in the Christmas spirit. I've been depressed and grouchy and moody and just not into this time of year. I have been going through some personal health garbage and I put up our tree and obsessed over how I could make it better, tried to make the perfect Christmas Card and because I obsess over that, I ended up not going with anything I made, but with something I made at a Walmart Kiosk and just stupid things like that...

First off, yesterday Jeff called me at lunch and told me that his dad was admitted to the hospital, thinking he had had a mild heart attack. And all of a sudden, life was put into perspective for me. George is going to be fine. He has 3 blocked arteries and they put in 1 stint last night and will do the other 2 on the 29th. One was 99% blocked and the others were 90% blocked. It is truly a miracle he is alive. We were able to make it to the hospital before his procedure and all of Jeff's brother's were there to give George a blessing. It was offered by Andy and I truly felt like a miracle was taking place. It was an amazing experience, one that I will never forget.

So then today, I decided to snap out of my funk and get happy. I was able to get all of my Christmas Cards/Letters in the mail, I got some shopping done and it was mostly for Jeff and I finally felt like I was in the Christmas Spirit. I know this season is not all about presents, but being able to buy things for other people really just made me happy. I am making a couple of gifts as well and I almost have those finished too. I know it's kind of late to be finally in the game here....but it's true what they say. When you stop focusing on yourself and focus on others, you really stop feeling so sorry for yourself.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope most of you were nothing like me and have been whistling a happy tune since December 1st!!

P.S. I got Jeff some really fun gifts this year and I am SO excited for him to open them on Christmas morning!!! I can't wait until I have kids someday to share their excitement too!!!

5 Things to Say:

Jen said...

I'm glad you are now feeling a little more Christmas spirit. It's hard not to get caught up in all the materialistic things Christmas brings your way.
But it sounds like you were able to over come them.

Merry Christmas!

The Sorensens. said...

oh jenny, i just love you! that was scary about your father-in-law :/ good thing he will be ok!!

Sugar Jane said...

I so am there too with the Christmas spirit thing, of coarse I started off very possitive and excited for the brain storming that would have to take place in order for us to do the services I love to do this time of year, dispite our lack of funds. But as Chirstmas has creeped closer.....
the excitement has dwindled. There is so much I want to do, but I'm just not capable and it's very frustrating for me. I hate being the one that needs a bit of help..... I love being the help!!!!! So we've put together a service chain for the count down and wrote down something to do for each day that didn't require money to accomplish. It's defineatly helped for sure.

Cara said...

I was the same way as you Jenny, with school coming to and end it seems like that was all I focused on...it's never to late to get in the holiday spirit though even if it is less than a week away. Oh I also saw your christmas card at my 'rents and it turned out way cute!

It's all Good- The Allen Fam said...

Ahh Jenny- you always come through. I'm glad Jeff's father is o.k. Aren't we so blessed to have the priesthood, and know about blessings and such? The gospel brings peace and comfort in a crazy world. Merry Christmas, tell everyone hi.- Aunt Paula